Sunday, February 26, 2006

Spring Fever

The weather. Always a hot topic at home in Nebraska (since it directly effects my dad’s work) or in Nashville when there’s even the possibility of a snowflake or the thermometer going below 35. It’s also a constant fallback in small talk conversation, one I’ve found it particularly useful when awkwardly stuck in the elevator with someone at work.



I’ve realized how often my mood is also affected by the weather. Last weekend it was COLD and snowy, and I was grumpy. (Once the Christmas season is over, I’m so done with the cold “perks” like warm beverages and sweaters and just ready for spring.) The past few days it’s been much warmer out, hinting that spring is just around the corner, and I’ve been frolicking all over Franklin and Nashville with a smile on my face and my sunroof open. As I went for a walk today, I started thinking about all the little things about summer/spring that make me happy and I’m looking forward to experiencing again.

I thought I’d list some of them here (in no particular order) with “Christmas-like” anticipation of the upcoming seasons…

• smelling the Magnolias and honeysuckle
• wearing flip flops and cute sandals (goodbye socks, hello pedicures)
• daylight lasting longer than 10 minutes after I leave work
• reading a book by our pool
• diving into the swimming pool –nothing beats that rush of your first dive of the summer
• hosting pool parties for my friends, my church small group, and Hadley and Callie
• going to visit Farrah and maybe even catch a Red Sox game
• wearing skirts and fun dresses to work and church instead of jeans all the time
• having a tan (goodbye winter white, I won’t miss you.)
• that feeling of being drenched with sweat after a run because of the heat (yes, I’m weird)
• playing catch and volleyball at the park
• eating outside at Jackson’s and PM under white twinkle lights
• cookouts at Christina’s house
• riding the bike I’m planning to buy
• freshly cut grass
• GOING TO THE BEACH

“In the midst of winter I finally realized there was within me an invincible summer.”
~ Albert Camus

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Suz,

a) You know how I love that quote!!

b) That pic of us will live forever as the true picture of freedom (even though it looks like my arm is coming out of its socket, hee hee) :)

c) I'd give my right hand (extremist, much?) to take a walk down 21st to Magnolia to smell the magnolia trees right now.

Love you lots
Stine

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger anne said...

come visit me! it was 84 degrees yesterday.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Farrah said...

Susan-

So much of the time I feel like you and I are in life together. You have no idea what a relief that is to me sometimes. So it comes as no surprise that this blog echoes my own longing for spring. At the same time, the quote at the end reminds me that Hope does not come and go with spring.

As always, I love you.
Farrah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home