Monday, December 11, 2006

A DC Retreat



Lately I’ve been feeling exhausted due to a super hectic schedule and concerned that before I know it my favorite time of year will be gone and I will miss out on enjoying it. Today has been a perfect remedy to those feelings. I’m in Washington D.C. for a work conference and have a couple of hours to myself before the madness begins. I’m staying at a very fancy hotel just two blocks down from the White House, so I threw my suitcase on the fluffy bed, grabbed my iPod & camera, and headed out to see a few sights while the voices of Sarah McLachlan, Over the Rhine, Ray Charles, Harry Connick Jr. and other favorites sang my favorite Christmas tunes.


Here are some highlights of my DC retreat…

1. Everything is decorated for Christmas and is stunning.
2. While looking at the White House, I noticed that a man dressed in all black was patrolling the roof (you can see him in the pic if you look closely). My mind immediately went all Alias...maybe they need me to practice the sword fighting skills I’ve been learning lately. Don’t worry, I resisted the urge to buy a shirt from a street vendor that said “CIA.”
3. Seeing the lights on the National Christmas tree turn on with the Washington monument in the background.
4. I almost followed a crowd of people that were going to a party at the White House…I think if I would have just walked with confidence and given the little man at the security booth a charming speech like Syndey Ellen Wade of Virginia, I could have gotten away with it. Although my jeans may have given me away…
5. A stunning view of the capital at dusk as I walked back to my hotel with tired feet but a renewed sense of Christmas cheer. (the picture doesn’t do it justice)
6. I have room service on the way and may even splurge for a pay-per-view movie for my “Susan retreat” night….the hardest decision of my night will be which movie to buy and which giant, cloud-like bed to sleep in….



This girl can’t complain…

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DC rocks! I got to do a walking tour of the monuments after dark back in high school and was really blown away (even if it was raining). Call me goofy, but I always thought the subway there was really cool also.

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Farrah said...

Susan,

I turned green with jealousy while I was reading this. I'm so glad that you got to have this D.C. experience. I hope you have a great and refreshing time.

Love you,
Farrah

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That pic of the tree and the Washington Monument is TRULY enchanting! What an artistic eye you have, Suz! Love it, have a great time :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home