Sunday, December 31, 2006

I Fell In Love in 2006

The last day of 2006 has been ideal for me. Some people like to spend the last night of the year out with the masses, dressed to the nines, and a sparkling drink in hand. My perfect day has been quite the opposite though. I have not left my brother’s and sister-in-law’s home on this very windy, grey, cold South Dakota day nor do I plan to. I am still wearing my pajamas, my hair is tossed up in a messy ponytail, I ate warm chocolate chip cookies at 10 am because I could, I’ve read a book, played with my niece, enjoyed my mom’s lasagna around the table with almost all of our family (Lor had to go home already), and had the rare chance to take a nap. The rest of my day will probably consist of more of the same and perhaps a movie on my brother and sister-in-law’s home theater system.

Sitting here wrapped in a fleece blanket next to the fireplace I find myself content to just listen to the noises around me: my mom lovingly talking to Alixandra while she feeds her, Alixandra’s sweet breathes and coos while she drinks her bottle, my dad clicking away on the computer researching his next purchases, silence from the direction of a bedroom where new parents have the rare chance to take a nap, and the cold winds coming to a whistling halt when they meet the windows of the house. Sitting here I can’t help but think about what a wonderful, blessed year this has been. I randomly remembered a list I started back in October of things I’d fallen in love with this year, some silly little things and some life-changing. I’m glad I remembered it in time to share. Here are just a few things this year that have captured my heart in a new way the past 365 days…

Coldplay I’ve always enjoyed their music, but something clicked with me this year and I now “get” why others are so obsessed. Their songs just get better with every listen and fit my every mood and type of day. I don’t even understand what some of them mean and that just makes me like them all the more. Favorite songs include Fix You, The Scientist, and Sparks.

Boston Through another visit in June and through the eyes and descriptions of Farrah, this city has become one of my top three favorites. Its historic charms, quaint streets and parks, and moments there with Farrah have made Boston a city I look forward to visiting frequently.

Chocolate Cake Call me crazy, but I used to dislike chocolate cake. That was before I had it served warm and topped with vanilla ice cream while in the company of dear friends. Two memorable experiences this year involving an artful presentation of warm chocolate cake and ice cream which we devoured included going to the Venetian hotel in Las Vegas with Jeremy and Lora and then at J. Alexander’s with Mary Alice, Steven, Shannon and Christina.

The Color Red Not sure why, but this has become my favorite new color. Whether it’s bright red shoes or a deep red paint color, I can’t get enough of this color…I think my world in 2007 will include a lot more red.

The People’s Church After years of searching and church hopping or skipping, I found a home. This church has reminded me that church isn’t a building or weekly obligation, but a home and many, many people that I call dear friends now. My year would not have been nearly as wonderful if I hadn’t started attending this church and getting involved.

The Journey I’m embracing the process of life more and more. I’m understanding more that when you wait or work for things that are important it actually makes life more enjoyable and meaningful. Seeing The Pursuit of Happyness last night made me think of this concept even more.

Martial Arts Who knew that’d I’d actually love getting up before 6 twice a week to go let people punch me, kick me, and hit me with swords (and do the same back). I always knew I had a Syndey Bristow within and now thanks to Bao’s teaching, I’m learning things I never knew I could do and looking forward to the possibility of breaking a board with my sidekick in 2007.

Fall Don’t tell summer, but I think I may be cheating on it. Fall has become my favorite season. There’s just something about the amazing colors and crisp air and first hints of the winter holidays that have captured me.

Chick-fil-a Milkshakes As Mary Alice would say, they will change your life. Try it and you’ll understand. My favorite is the oreo one.

Going to Movies Alone I’ve always loved going to movies and still love going to them with a group of friends. I also now love going to them on my own. It’s just such a great escape into another story and a feeling of independence.

Yo Yo Ma Nothing like this cello music to calm you down and relax.

Franklin Road I probably spend over 6 hours a week driving up and down this road in Boy Scout. I love it though. Windows down, sun roof open, music up…the rolling hills splashed in colors, the huge farms, fields of horses, mansions decorated for each holiday…sorry I-65 you may be faster, but Franklin Road wins every time in my mind.

My niece Alixandra This little girl has captured my heart like no other. I can’t get enough of her and it’s so amazing to have her as the newest addition of our family. I could go on and on about how incredible she is…even her messy diapers are cute! You know that’s love…

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Blogger nina.coyle said...

I love it.

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

It took me a long time to understand the joys of going to movies alone (and being stared at is certainly not one of them) .. I still like going to see fun movies in a big group, but many flicks just have the feel of something you want to escape to all alone

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seeing the right movie by yourself can make the movie that much better..though to pull it off, you have to be pretty comfortable in your own skin..

grabbing a dalmation at fido's and then walking to the belcourt for a classic or an independent can be just the thing for a cold, uneventful night..somehow the broken seats and low-budget movie bring charm to an otherwise plain evening..

 
At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, my New Year's resolution is to become more active on my blog (and commenting on other blogs). Just here to say--I love yours! Especially your last post of the year! Just curious, what are your other 2 "Top 3" cities? I like, too, how you talk about "cheating on summer" with fall.

Thanks for the pics of the very newest member of the Thomsen clan. She makes Teddy seem old! Love, Kate

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Suz,

This was such a great post. I miss living life with you daily to hear about things that are capturing your heart AS it's occurring, so I'll settle for reading about it :) It's so encouraging to hear how this year, more of your longings became realities. Especially finding a community...that is huge. Thank you for sharing and I can't wait to see what 2007 holds :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home